Thursday 8 July 2010

I've got a couple of things I want to chat about tonight. This might turn into a bit of a lengthy blog, so to make things a bit easier I'm going to break it up into paragraphs, each one on a particular topic, and hopefully make it as easy as possible for you to find whatever interests you. Here we go.
1. Freeview rant
2. Eclipse UK premier rant
3. Jonathon Ross
4. Lindsey Lohan
5. Doctor Who

1. Firstly, I'm home from uni right now, back living at my parents’ house. Now, for reasons beyond our control, we get our television signal from what they call a "relay station". This means rather than getting a proper TV signal, we get a copied signal from a proper station. Of course, like all copies, this process degrades the quality of our signal. In short, we get crappy Freeview. We get the BBC channels, ITV1, ITV2, ITV2+1, five, 4, 4+1, More 4 and E4. Oh and Rabbit and Gay Rabbit, because it seems no matter how effed up your Freeview is, you always get Gay Rabbit. Like it's the most important channel in the world. I've spend a lot of time messing around trying to get Freeview boxes to work for various people, and it works even when nothing else will. Anways, I'm missing several key channels here. I'm missing Sky3, so no Project Runway for me. I don't get Film4, which is really annoying because they do show good films every now and then. I'm missing fiver and Five USA... uhhh... yeah I'm not really missing much there... and I'm missing Sky Sports. Well no complaints there. Living with two male housemates, I've had enough Sky Sports to last me a lifetime! Most of these channels I can get using the TV in the living room, which has FreeSky, though this does lead to some rather nasty remote fights. Almost lost an eye. What really gets to me is that I have completely lost access to Dave and Dave+1. So no reruns of QI, Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You. I'm going to miss the comedy! I know they are just repeats, but sometimes you just need a little light viewing; something to have on in the background while you type up a bitchy blog. In the absence of Dave, I'm typing this up whilst listening to Muse. If I come back from this holiday even whineier and emo than ever, you just blame Dave, okay? On a side note, my internet connection is also a shambles. I feel like I'm living in the dark ages here. Roll on September!

2. Nextly (yes that’s a word, so shut up, you silly paper clip), I want to have a little rant about the Twilight Eclipse stars not showing up to the UK premier. I'm not as much of a Twilight fan girl as I used to be. Thanks you Alex Day for showing me the light. However, it still disgusts me to see actors treating their fans in such a manner. From what I can gather, Robert Pattinson (never R-Patz, urgh) had contractual obligations, i.e. he was working on another film, and so couldn't make it. Excuse me? So this new film is giving you no time off? You are working 24 hours a day with no sleep? I don't think Mr Pattinson is aware that without Twilight, all he would be remembered for would be a forgettable performance as Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter. Yes, I do know he was in Remember Me, but I have no doubt that he would not have got that role without first being in Twilight, seeing as that film seems to have been sold straight to the twi-hards. Don't believe me? Check out the trailer.

Robert Pattinson plays angsty, deep, troubled young man. Check. Quirky, different female lead. Check. Overcoming obstacles to be together. Check. Deep quotes about being "together forever". Check. It's Twilight, minus the vampire thing (if you can call the abominations in Twilight vampires). Kristen Stewart has made no secret of the fact that she does not enjoy working on the Twilight films, and wants the whole thing to be over with as quickly as possible. It wouldn't surprise me if she spent the evening practising looking miserable and confused. Is the girl capable of smiling? Jury is still out. Taylor Lautner... well I can kind of imagine he said "if the other two aren't going, neither am I”. Maybe he's got another film in the works, but neither him nor Kristen have published any kind of excuse as of yet. It doesn't look like we're going to get anything from them. I guess I'm most annoyed at Robert though. It may be difficult to remember, since no-one has heard his real accent since Harry Potter, but the guy is English! He was born and raised in London. His first major role was in an English film, based on an English book. Looks like he's doing all he can to push his English history out of people’s memories. I hope it brings him happiness.
Oh go on then, while I'm yakking about films, make sure you see Get Him To The Greek. It's awesome. I've seen it twice. It's even funnier if you've seen Russell Brands "Scandalous". I'll say no more. Watch it.

3. On to happier and more TV related topics, I'm glad to report that Jonathon Ross will not be disappearing from our screens after his last Friday Night With Jonathon Ross this Friday. He's signed a contract with ITV to host a new chat show which will be airing late next year, and reportedly plans to take a break in-between. Personally, I'm thrilled. I've already said I think the whole thing with Andrew Sachs was blown way out of proportion. Did you know only a handful of people complained after the original broadcast? It only became an issue after The Daily Mail reported on it, and encouraged readers to complain. I look forward to his new show, though I am a little concerned that the ITV player is terrible compared to the BBC i-player... so let's hope the show is on at a time that I can watch it live.

4. NEXT! Lindsay Lohan gets 90 days in jail for missing alcohol education classes. Well about time. You gave her every chance. It's another case of film stars thinking they are more important than everyone else. It's not on and Pattinson has already used up my "quota of patience for the day" (obscure in-joke, but shout if you get it :P). If I'd been up for that many charges of reckless driving, drunk driving and drug charges, I'd have been put away for a lot longer than 90 days. She should count her lucky stars. She says she did the best she could to balance working and showing up to court and classes. Firstly, the classes should come before working, and if the producer doesn't understand, leave the film! Secondly, what filming was she doing? I haven't seen her anything for ages! Not since she got fired from Ugly Betty. I do wish the best to her though, and I hope she gets her life back and track and gets her priorities in order.

5. And finally... good news for Doctor Who Fans! The series may be over, but the fun still continues on the Doctor Who Website (LINKY!) They've got the Doctor Who Adventure Games (full review coming soon) another new game coming soon called The History Hunt and a whole load of extras for every episode (it's where The Midget and I got our nifty Smiler masks!). They also promise they are going to keep on giving us lots of lovely treats to fill the void until Christmas. Rah! If you still need a bit more Doctor in your day, I also recommend becoming a fan of "Doctor Who and the Tardis" on facebook (LINKY!). They do some lovely little status updates and post nice pictures to help you remember all the good times. For anyone who has just started this season, seasons 1-4 are on Amazon for £50 at the moment... hmm, might have to have those when I get paid...

No comments:

Post a Comment