Saturday 21 August 2010

Mega Film Weekend: Part 1

I don't usually blog about the films I watch. I don't generally find myself with a lot to say about them, but this weekend is set to be pretty film packed, so I think a little blog might just be on the cards. If you're not interested in the films, I'll be talking about my X-factor predictions down at the bottom. Oh, and bit of Ugly Betty.

Film 1: Law Abiding Citizen. After realising there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on the television on a Friday night, my family and I decided a trip to the local DVD rental store was on the cards. Law Abiding Citizen was my Dad's choice of film. It probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but Dad was really excited about it, despite having seen it once already. It was a bit gory, which I wasn't really expecting. I can usually get past it by looking at what's going on from a make-up point of view, trying to figure out how the effect has been done, but there's one scene I really can't abide and it's in a lot of horror movies. It's the bloody warehouse look. Meat hooks, chains, rusty blades, blood splattered everywhere... urgh...
Anyways, before I shared my worst nightmare with you, I had a point. I was expecting a bit more of an intellectual thriller, and I got a dash more horror movie that I was expecting. They were a good mix, the plot was strong, and there's some good actors, so if you can handle the gore, this would be good for you, if not, watch Inception instead. In fact, watch Inception instead anyway. It's awesome.
Just my 2 cents (or 4 pennies :P) on Gerard Butler. Now, I've been told he's hot, but I don't see it! I don't want to be insulting, each to their own, but he looks like a builder! And not the Diet Coke style builders, British builders who stop every 5 minutes for a tea break, who take forever to finish a garage. He'd look better after a shower, a shave and a decent hair cut, but he'd still be far too rugged for me. But Emma loves him. She can have him. More Alex Day for me :P

Film 2: Nine. A joint choice between my mother and I (although she later tried to blame it all on me), was musical Nine. I was expecting something light-hearted, a little Moulin Rouge style. I was wrong. The musical numbers were good. Strong songs and innovative dance routines, but the plot holding them together was abysmal! I really didn't care about main character Guido, and the fact that he can't write a film (although I'm reading A Writers Tale by Russell T. Davis, and I am sick to death of whiny writers!) and I didn't care that he was sick, or if his wife caught him with his mistress. He had no depth and no feeling so I just couldn't empathise. For a film with such an impressive cast, the characters were pretty flat. Each actress had such little screen time, they could barely make in impression. Overall verdict? Watch Moulin Rouge instead.

Film 3: Salt. So I was getting towards the end of Nine, and considering giving up and going to bed, when the phone rang. Ended up going to the cinema to see Salt. It's not really my type of film. Action Spy kind of thing. I didn't really follow it. Too many characters and they get all mixed up. It didn't really help that by the time the film was at its peak, it had passed midnight, the cinema was warm, cosy and comfy and I think I might have dozed off... On a side note, I don't like Angelina Jolie... think I sympathise more with Jennifer Anniston.

TV! X Factor starts again tonight, so I'm hoping to get to see that. Is it starting a little early this year? I think so. Auditions are my favourite part of that show. I think you get some of the best performances, some of the most comedic performances and... well... some of the worst performances. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some evil person who takes joy from watching the pain of others (though I know people who do). No, the joy of the X-Factor is to watch it with other people and cringe at the terrible acts. I'm not sure yet whether I'll stick with it after auditions. I don't usually, but I did last year, just for Jedward. Controversial I know, but they were hilarious! Those boys know how to put on a show, but they just can't sing. I'd love to see them presenting children’s TV, or The X-tra Factor. They've got that kind of energy. They could be the new Ant and Dec or Sam and Mark.
Lastly, the new Season of Ugly Betty started last week. We've reached the last season and I've got a feeling it's not going to be good. They've looped back to the beginning, having Betty become an Editor and resume her "fish out of water" status, even bringing back her Poncho from Season 1. They've done everything on this show and now they are starting to re-use story lines. Only 4 seasons in! Probably a good job it's the last. When the series started there was much speculation over when Betty would get her "why Betty, behind those glasses, you're beautiful" moment. I get the feeling it's coming up soon. Last week started with Betty dreaming of getting her braces off, and in the second episode she gets a new pair of glasses. They've even starting transforming her in previous seasons, which they showed through Marks website of her outfits over the first 3 seasons. The taking off glasses thing really bugs me as a glasses wearer. Film makers seem to assume we wear glasses just for the hell of it, and someone taking them off for us on the way to The Prom will be absolutely fine! No! In reality I would spend the entire night squinting across the room trying to figure out if that person was a friend of mine, or a complete stranger. You can encourage someone to try contact lenses, but you can't just take their glasses away!

Coming Up: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, St Trinians 2, Whip It and maybe more :P

No comments:

Post a Comment