Tuesday 24 August 2010

If the doctor was stuck in the 18th century...

If you've read any of my blogs before you have picked up on the odd little hint that I am quite fond of a little show called Doctor Who? What's that? Obsessive? Maybe.

I first heard about the BBC3 version Casanova this term, from a friend who shares my appreciation of David Tennant's fine acting skills (read: pretty eyes). I heard about it again whilst reading Russell T. Davis's a writer’s tale, and once more while Tumbling... "That’s it", I decided, "I must watch it". So I have.

Casanova IS The Doctor. If I'd been sent to this show and given the preamble that The Doctor was stuck in 18th century Italy, without a companion, or his Tardis, so had renamed himself Casanova and was just going wait it out, I would full on believe it. I know David Tennant is a very capable actor, and can play more than the one part, as seen in Blackpool, and St Trinians 2 and Harry Potter. Likewise, Russell T. Davis is fully capable of writing more than the one character. The 9th doctor is completely different from the 10th. And yet Casanova is completely the same as The Doctor... even down to the way he says "Well..." (You know the way I mean :D)

I'd definitely recommend Casanova to grown up fans of Doctor Who (not one for the kids! Some very grown up scenes), even if they are not usually fans of period drama. It's written in a very modern way to make the characters very relatable to a current audience. Sort of reminds me of the way Desperate Romantics was written... but I think I'm the only person in the world who watched that. What can I say, Aiden Turner rox my sox.

P.S. Just watched the last episode. One of the characters says "Still running?" And I couldn't help but laugh my socks off. Can't be a coincidence. Will investigate further.

1 comment:

  1. have heard good things about casanova but i don't think it's come to canerdia yet,and my comp is too old and crochety to watch stuff on the net. but i'll keep my eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete