Sunday 5 September 2010

The Autumn Season Begins

Shhh... Listen... do you hear that? That is the blissful sound of silence. No longer do the kids crowd the streets screaming and dancing and I will no longer have to battle against tweenagers to browse the DVD sale in HMV. Life has returned to a state resembling normality as we are now in September and school is back in session.

Of course it's not just the real world in which school is back in. This week we got treated to two wonderful episodes of Waterloo Road, which as per usual started with a bang. We are welcoming a new Head Mistress in the shape of Karen Fisher (Amanda Burton), who starts with drastic new policies, much to the annoyance of the existing teachers, but it all works out in the end and she solves a lot of the schools problems... much like every other new head in this school. The story line seems much a carbon copy of when Rachel Mason started! Come on writers, get your act together! She's also got a whole host of personal problems including a missing child, a delinquent daughter and a cheating husband... also seems to be showing signs of early depression (though I can see why). From the brief glimpses we've seen it looks like her missing daughter is played by Tina O'Brien, so I can't see her staying missing for very long.

Also new staff wise is the stunning Francesca Montoya (Karen David), Head of Spanish. Not sure why they need a Head of Spanish, since there is no one else in the Spanish department for her to be head of. Spanish seems to have replaced French as the only language taught at this school. The two French teachers, Stephanie Haydock and Jo Lipsett have disappeared without explanation! I'm really not sure how this school gets through any of its exams... apart from English, the only fully staffed department.

Casualty also returned to our screens this week, after a 1 week absence. It made up for this loss with a feature length episode! Yay! My Dad keeps telling me I shouldn't watch Casualty as I "can't handle it". Excuse me if I find the death of several college kids upsetting! I'm not going to give much away about this one, I recommend picking it up on the I-player. Even if you've never seen Casualty before, now is a good time to pick it up, as the plot of this special episode takes place completely out of existing plot lines, showing the hospital dealing with a great amount of pressure after a shooting in a college. I hope the rest of the series can keep up the drama all the way through autumn. Now, go on, what else are you going to do with the next hour and a half? Click Here

X-Factor has also shot back onto our screens with the usual array of delusional wannabes, quiet superstars and diva strops. Yes, it is becoming one big massive cliché (if I hear "1 million percent yes" one more time, I'm going to beat Simon Cowel to death with a math textbook), but it's still sociable Saturday Night television! Worth sticking with through the auditions, but only time will tell if the talent will keep me interested through the live shows.

This Weeks Recommendation: I'm dying to watch Derren Brown: Hero at 30,000 feet on Wednesday at 10pm on Channel 4, but I'm going to be out of the country! Yes, I'll be jetting off to Disney Land Paris, obscenely early on Wednesday morning, but I hope there's nothing stopping you enjoying it. I'll be catching up on the magic some time Monday. For those of you who have been living under the proverbial rock, Derren Brown is a Psychologist, Illusionist and Showman who performs seemingly impossible feats using his odd array of skills. The man himself says this is his favourite show to date, so it will be well worth a watch. Enjoy, and I'll see you some point next week :)

P.S. The rather wonderful James Raynard (CottonWoolWorld) was lovely enough to give me a shout out on his latest vlog! Isn't that nice of him? Since he said very nice things, and is a clever, interesting and funny guy (and has, what I've been told is "an adorable English accent") you should go check out his videos! HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment