Monday 28 June 2010

Doctor Who: The Big Bang

Here we go. I'm going to let my inner fan girl out. You have been warned! We've reached the end of series five of "Nu-Who" (that's the name for the newer episodes of Doctor Who, as opposed to the old ones which finished in the 90's). This series has seen some massive changes, a new doctor, a new assistant, new Daleks (I'm... still not ready to talk about the Daleks)... and a new head writer! Steven Moffat. Some say his scripts make better scientific sense that Russell’s... others say they make a lot less sense. Going to have to disagree with both of you there, I haven't noticed any major change, but I try not to over think it. As for the new Doctor, I think I'll always be comparing him the David Tennant, and he'll never really match up (there's something nice about a man in Converse...). However, judging him by his own merit, he's an awesome Doctor. Quirky, odd, loveable, intelligent. His good qualities go on and on... I'll come back to this.

I remember the first episode of Doctor Who I ever watched, side by side with my two best friends. They were long time Who fans and I trust their judgement when they say I should watch something. I always like it. It was The Satan Pit. Now, I remember there wasn't enough time to save the day and they were all going to die (as usual), I asked why The Doctor couldn't just go back in time and make it right, save lives, keep them out of danger. After all, what is the point of a time machine? "He can't interfere with his own time line", my friend answered automatically. Since I've seen the rest of the episodes I've become quite familiar with the rules of time travel. There's that one, and the rule that certain events are meant to happen, and they cannot be changed (proved most poignantly in The Waters on Mars). So we've had at least five series of not interfering with our own time lines... apart from when Amy Pond is involved it would seem. The Doctor uses the Vortex Manipulator ("cheap and nasty time travel, very bad for you, trying to give it up") to zip into his own past several times and even meets himself! Not to mention the entire, getting Amy to remember him thing. It was thrilling to find out the whole Jacket shebang in Crash of the Byzantium was not in fact a continuity error but a wonderfully written little preview of what was to come and an exciting use of time travel. Speaking of Vortex Manipulators, I think they should be wearing them all the time. Just in case of emergency. Like all those times someone has stolen the Tardis. I suppose there'd be no plot... but I'd also like an in-show reason as well please :D Interestingly the one used it this episode was acquired by River on the Black Market by an alien who claimed it was "Fresh off the wrist of a handsome Time Agent". Captain Jack? Not heard from him in a while, hope he's okay...

I was joking when I told a friend that my other friends hated him because he had "insulted their God" (he's not a fan of The Doctor), but this episode the Doctor created a Big Bang and "re-booted" the universe. He's omnipotent, omniscient and benevolent! He talks about miracles happening but he seems to create them more than anything. I know they are never going to come out and say it on the BBC, but as far as Gods go, why not The Doctor? I'd love to see a church of Doctor worshipers in a future episode.
Coming off that, I'd really like to know what The Doctor sees in River Song. They supposedly have this great romantic relationship, but they are so different. I know opposites attract but River has this strong cruel streak seen most clearly when she has that Dalek beg for mercy before she killed it. The Doctor would never have been able to resist letting it live. And he would have NEVER used a gun!
Speaking of romance, lovely wedding scene and I adored having the Tardis being something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue. If I ever get married I'm throwing that in somehow... I felt the wedding was overshadowed, however, by Amy's blatant inappropriate behaviour. I've defended Amy a lot over the past few weeks, to people who believe her leaping on The Doctor at the end of Flesh and Stone was rather slutty. I'm forgiving her because he had a near death experience, The Doctor is hot, and she had pre-wedding jitters. Behaviour in this episode is completely different though and cannot be easily excused. The woman has just got married, to a wonderful guy who is clearly very devoted to her and first sight of The Doctor she dashes to him with the words "You absolutely definitely may kiss the bride". It's a good job the gangly man from Galifray is a gentleman, and sends her back to her new husband. Later on she prowls into the Tardis purring "Where are you off? We haven't even had a snog in the shrubbery yet". She's chased in by poor Rory. He's going to have to keep an eye on that one.
Another good thing from the wedding sequence, Matt Smith looks delicious in that suit, scarf and top hat. And bow tie. Bow Ties are cool.

It's a terribly long time until Christmas, when we'll find out what, or who, caused the Tardis to explode. I reckon it was The Master, but then again, I always think it's The Master, and I'm always wrong. The voice on the phone sounded like Davros, but I thought he was dead... then again, it's Doctor Who. Doesn't mean he's going to stay dead. Now then... what am I going to do on Saturday nights?

No comments:

Post a Comment