Monday 21 June 2010

First Day of Wimbledon

Well I'm going to have to apologise again. When I posted my blog last night I was completely unaware of what would happen today.

I woke up, just passed 12, dragged myself out of bed, got dressed and set off for the local Sainsbury’s. Sitting in the humble cafe (never shop on an empty stomach), I flicked through a copy of today’s Daily Mirror. Upon getting to the sports section I was appalled to realise that the first Wimbledon matches were starting at 12. It was already half past 1. Too late to do anything about it then, so I went about my shopping, relieved that at least I wouldn't have missed much on the first day.

Boy was I wrong again. I got home about 3pm to find Rodger Federer failing against Alejandro Falla. I'd never heard of Falla so did a quick Google search to find out he was 60th in the world; by no means an unknown, but a clear underdog. Goody. I do love an underdog. I settled in my chair with a class of cold summer fruits and lemonade, squinting to keep track of the tiny points in the corner of the small screen in our living room.

Of course Federer brought it back during the fourth set. It was like he'd been half heartedly playing the rest of the match in his sleep and just woke up and realised he had a match to win. Poor Falla didn't stand a chance.

I'm no sports commentator, but I do think tennis makes for a nice bit of TV on a lazy summer afternoon. This match was a great start for the first day of Wimbledon, and I'm hoping the twists and turns set the tone for the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment