Tuesday 11 January 2011

Episodes



Do I watch TV everyday? Well maybe not, but I probably have some sort of media viewing everyday, even if it’s just a quick YouTube video. Can I write a blog about it every day? Yeah Sure! Well, probably not. When I get back to uni things are going to kick off big time, and while I will technically have the 20 minutes necessary to tell the world what I thought about the latest episode of Glee, I doubt I will have the motivation. But for now, I'm gonna try. I am going to attempt every day, apart from Wednesday, when I have other commitments.

I'm starting today with a brand new show that made its British TV debut last night. The show is called Episodes, and it follows the story of two English comedy writers, who are tempted to move to LA, to remake their show for the American audience. This is a rather fascinating process to me, as this is currently what's happening to a few of my favorite shows, namely Torchwood and Being Human. I just hope it goes better than it does for Lyeman's Boys. I appreciate that Episodes is just comedy, not a documentary, but if Steven Moffat's twitter is anything to go by, it may be all too close to home.



As first episodes go, it wasn't the best. When the show finished I turned the TV off and went to bed with no burning desire to find out what happened next (in contrast to watching an episode of True Blood, then figuring out how much sleep I'll get if I watch just one more. If sleep time is greater than 4 hours, I can often be tempted into "just one more). I think one of the biggest problems this show is going to face is that Lyeman's Boys... well it doesn't seem that funny. The whole premise is that these writers have created an epically hilarious show that has excelled in Britain, but the taste we got fell flat on its face. The characters were laughing their heads off like deranged hyenas, but my brother and I sat befuzzled.
That said, I think I will be watching it next week, but more for its major selling point. This will be Matt LeBlanc’s first show since the tragic failure that was Joey, and the world wants to know whether he'll fly high or fall like a stone. A stone that used to be a big star... like a meteorite... I'm going off track. Though Matt made a brief appearance in the first episode, it seems his role will really begin next week. At least shoddy acting won't let him down this time. He'll be playing himself. An actor completely unsuited for the role of the headmaster in Lyeman's Boys. Well, good luck to him.

On a side note: Why oh why oh why to English accents go really posh when they are put in American shows. Episodes has made the excellent choice of hiring real English people to play English people, but, whilst these actors sound just fine in English programming, they suddenly have upper class London accents we've never heard from them before. It's a phenomenon I've experienced myself in my younger days. A friend had an American girl staying with him and bought her to the pub to meet our group. Whilst taking to her I felt myself slipping into a familiar American accent (a product of watching far too much FRIENDS), and went over English to compensate. However, I was young and after experience of being around different accents at uni, I can hold my own accent much better now, so I ask these actors to hold onto their own wonderful voices and stop conforming to the stereotype! Also, Britain is a big place. WE ARE NOT ALL FROM LONDON!!! /rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment