Thursday 27 January 2011

NTA Winners- and an explanation

Last night's NTA awards certainly had some unexpected results, and some we all saw coming. Here's the full run down of winners, who I voted for and an explanation of some of the controversy.

Best Talent Show went to The X Factor, not overly surprising, but I would have preferred Britain's Got Talent, I think you get a lot more on that show. Constant singing can get a little dull. Suppose the more recent airing may have had some influence here. Other losers were Dancing on Ice and Strictly Come Dancing, shows which usually appeal more to the middle aged women (yep, stereotyping, but true). The fact that this year’s voting was done almost exclusively online, probably by bored students counts these shows out of the running almost straight away.

Best Comedy Programme went to Benidorm. Yes this caused me some confusion, especially as Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow was in the shortlist. Everyone loves Michael McIntyre right? Also missing out this time was Outnumbered, which is a bit of a shame; I'm quite fond of that show. The kids are adorable... and it's not often you'll hear me say that. Harry Hill's TV Burp was an unsurprising loser. It's a bit of a Marmite show... no not brown and sticky, Love it or Hate it!

Best Drama went to Waterloo Road... now, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Waterloo Road, but it's not great drama. It's a Soap Opera that people would get bored of if it was on all the time. It is no-where near the quality of Steven Moffat's two offerings. Doctor Who and Sherlock. This one took some thinking about, but I eventually voted for Sherlock as I think it was the better DRAMA. Doctor Who doesn't take itself seriously enough to be counted as a Drama show. I think what went wrong here was that there were too many Moffat fans in the same situation as me. The shows were too similar and split what would have been a massive vote if only one was offered. As a result Waterloo Road swooped in and stole the crown. Shameless is trash, hence, it lost :P

Best Drama Performance went to David Jason from A Touch of Frost. I don't watch this show, but have been informed he deserved the win. I still think in different circumstances Benedict Cumberbatch of Sherlock would have won by a mile (again, sorry Matt Smith, but Doctor Who is not really Drama. Love you anyway). Lastly Philip Glenister of Ashes to Ashes offers another choice to an already conflicted group of Whovians and Sherlockies. Another show about time travel? Think these nominations need a bit more range.

Best Digital Choice went to The Inbetweeners. It's no Glee, but its miles better than Peter Andre: The Next Chapter, so no complaints here.

Best Factual Programme went to Top Gear, also nominated were Celebrity Masterchef, Junior Apprentice and Who Do You Think You Are. I don't watch any of these shows, so I didn't vote. If I did, I'd watch Top Gear, so huzzah!

Best Serial Drama went to Eastenders. Also nominated Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks.... I couldn't care less. :P

Best Serial Drama Performance went to Lacey Turner (Eastenders). Again, I don't care about the soaps...

Best Topical Magazine Programme went to This Morning, meaning Loose Women lost out despite their massive campaigning. I voted Loose Women, but also fond of This Morning, and BBC Breakfast didn't win, so no complaints.

Best Newcomer goes to Ricky Norwood of Eastenders. Gutted. I wanted it to go to Olga Fedori from Holby City because she was the only one I recognised. Flipping soaps again!

Best Entertainment Show went to I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here, in an unsurprising win over Big Brother. What did bug me was that Mock The Week and QI lost out. I suppose it may be that shows like I'm A Celebrity encourage audience participation as part of their format, and this may encourage voting in situations like this. Furthermore QI and Mock The Week seem to be on all the time and, though more enjoyable, tend to fade into the background and stay out of the media hype of "event" type TV.

Best Entertainment Presenter went to Ant and Dec for the 10th year running. Precisely how two people can win an award for best Presenter (singular) is beyond me, but good on them. I love them to bits.

Last but not least, a Special Recognition Award went to Bruce Forsyth. Thanks Bruce, we recognise all you've done for us. Time to retire now yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment