Friday 14 January 2011

I didn't watch TV... did I?

Sat down to write blog and panicked. I didn’t watch anything on TV yesterday! What can I possibly write about? But then I reconsidered. I watched a lot more TV yesterday than immediately sprung to mind.

Yesterday was out of the ordinary for a Thursday. I woke up, got dressed, brushed my teeth and went down stairs. My dad was sat in the living room. This is out of the ordinary because my dad has usually left for work before I get up. Since my dad was home BBC morning news was on the TV, as opposed to my mum’s usual choice of Daybreak (the new name for GMTV. Grr. I hate change). I sat and caught up with the morning’s headlines and ridiculous magazine features whilst I ate my breakfast and had the day’s first cup of coffee. I never really count this as time watching TV. It’s not programming I plan for and look forward to, or even take note of. It’s just there, blabbering away in the background, occasionally with some item of interest I actually pay attention to. After a somewhat average morning at work, I hopped in the car and headed off to Ormskirk for my lovely friend James’ birthday (second mention in two days for him. He’ll be getting a big head). There we put FRIENDs on as we chatted and caught up (have I mentioned I watch FRIENDs? No? What do you mean “obsessed”?) Again, FRIENDs is one of those inconsequential shows. I’ve seen them all and know the plot of every episode, so it can be dipped in and out of in lulls of conversation or between tasks. So I don’t really qualify it as watching TV. The last thing I sort of watched yesterday was an episode of Eastenders. I am not an Eastenders fan; I want to make that very clear. However, I was staying in a house with two Eastenders fans and... When in Rome? Again, I don’t qualify this as TV watching because I hadn’t planned to watch it, wasn’t invested in it and wasn’t really paying attention. It is interesting though that a day in which I thought I hadn’t watched TV involved about an hour and a half of me having my eyes focused on a TV screen. Consider your TV watching habits. How much TV do you soak up over the day without even noticing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment